Saturday, March 05, 2005

The Social Worker's tattoos

I figured since I was calling myself The Tattooed Social Worker, I should probably show you my tattoos. I had Penny take these pictures this morning after my bath. I've been meaning to do this ever since I started the blog but it's winter and I've been too lazy to shave my legs. I used to never shave my legs. When we lived in Eugene, Oregon (one of the coolest places on earth), I think I shaved my legs a total of four times (and I lived there for almost four years). I remember my first yoga class in Eugene. This was pre-arm and leg tattoos. I bought some new shorts and a cute little tank top so I wouldn't like a total slug and I shaved my legs. Then on the first day of class I walked in and about 17 hairy, tattooed, dredlocked women took one look at me and rolled their eyes. One of the women had even dyed her chin hair purple. And it was about three inches long. I stopped shaving after that. I did not stop waxing my chin hair, however. That takes some massive self-esteem. MASSIVE.

Anyway, here are my tattoos:



My friend, Jeremy, did this one in his living room the day before Penny and I drove across the country. THAT was one of the STUPIDEST things I've ever done. Have you ever tried to sit in a truck all day with a massive new tattoo on your calf? It fucking hurts. Each time I got out of the truck and tried to walk, I couldn't put my heel all the way down on the ground and my pants had gotten stuck to the tattoo. Every night after we'd checked into a hotel, I'd go straight to the bathroom sink, sit on counter and ever so gently peel away my pants leg from the tattoo before I cleaned it. If you look closely you can see little white spots in the black areas. I have never known whether these were caused by my road trip or the fact that Jeremy had no idea what he was doing.


right arm Posted by Hello
"Pinkerbelle" was my third tattoo. Also done in someone's living room, although this one I actually had to pay for (I used a tax return). A guy named Demian did it. I really love this tattoo. It's my favorite. I cried for about a week after I got it, though. Call it, "tattoo post-partum syndrome". I was scared that I couldn't pull it off and that I that I just looked stupid. Eventually it grew on me in a big way. Now people ask me all the time if she's supposed to be me and I guess the answer is "yes". Or at least a part of me. I love her boots. And her hair. He did a really good job on the fade in her hair. I don't think you can really tell in the picture.


right above my gigantic ass Posted by Hello
The back piece was my second tattoo and I don't really like it a whole lot. I mean it's okay - I've developed a unique sort of fondness for all my tattoos. I was really into the Sandman comics when I got this done and one of the Death, one of Neil Gaiman's Endless, employs the Ankh as her emblem. My ass was not nearly as gigantic then as it is now and I think one of the things I don't like about it is that it's not quite long enough.


really out of focus right back shoulder Posted by Hello
This was my very first tattoo. I was 18 and the guy who did it at Ancient Art in Richmond told me not to have it put on my back. He suggested that it was too little and that I'd regret it later if I wanted to put more art on my back. He was right. I'd like a bigger back piece but I don't know how to integrate this tiny froggie into a bigger tattoo. I guess I could have it covered within a larger tattoo but I have a kind of devotional affection to this one since it was my first.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://qccelwha.com/lpne/zyyg.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://kcmdjmpj.com/ncgi/prqg.html]Cool site[/url]

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
My homepage | Please visit

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://qccelwha.com/lpne/zyyg.html | http://unljhppz.com/noon/faas.html

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am looking to become a social worker and I have and I am planning on getting a half sleeve tattoo. Can you keep your tattoos visible wile you work?

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home