Friday, February 18, 2005

What I'm reading


VIlla Incognito Posted by Hello
I’m currently reading two books. I know. It’s weird to read more than one book at a time. Whatever. I don’t care what you think. I’m reading Tom Robbins, Villa Incognito, and Tad Williams, The War of the Flowers. I’m a little disappointed in War of the Flowers. It intrigues me only about half the time. The rest of the time I’m just reading it because Villa is not nearby and I’m too lazy to walk upstairs to retrieve Mr. Robbins from the toilet seat where I left him after my bath. Villa, on the other hand, is so fun to read. I love Tom Robbins. What a master that man is. I can’t figure out how he manipulates all those metaphors. All I know is that I’m so glad he can. Reading Tom Robbins is like swimming in words. It’s like poetry that’s not poetry at all but better, more precise, sturdier, grounded not in the clouds and the air but in more earthy substances. Ah! I love it. I’m trying to savor it and not read it all at once. Let each metaphor sink into the soil and take root.

Villa’s not as good as his other books. Still Life with Woodpecker and Jitterbug Perfume are better. Fierce Invalids from Hot Climates is really good too. But don’t listen to me. Read them all (my Robbins list on Amazon).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home